
I was thinking about words, which led me to the small discovery of the their importance.
"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."
-Who thought of that?
The power of words, a new idea huh? Okay, maybe not, nor a huge BLAM of insight, but it got me thinking. Words... maybe what comes out of our mouth doesn't diffuse with the oxygen that we breath. Maybe it sticks around and accomplishes the heart (or ignorance) of the utterance. Job 22:28 states, "You will also decree a thing, and it will be established for you." The actual meaning of the word translated into thing (omer) is a word, a command, a promise. In the bible; when you see the word "word" it had/has a tangible meaning... a THING. we tend to think that our words are irrelevant. That they float out of our mouths and then are gone. I think they can accomplish the impossible. I also think they can cut to the heart and destroy. They go deeper into the spirit realm to redeem, restore, heal, bind up, tear down, etc etc.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning"-John 1:1. So Jesus was from the beginning, and in Ephesians we are called to be imitators of Him. The first action that took place in the bible was creation. God said, "Let there be light, and there was light." God SPOKE.. words. thing. Life happened from words. I believe that Jesus gave us this authority when he bought back the kingdom through the cross. And we have been given this beautiful gift of speech to bring life upon this earth through words (things). AND TO ACTUALLY SEE RESULTS. To speak truth which brings freedom. To proclaim salvation in people's lives, to proclaim unity over a city, body of Christ, school, etc. To proclaim justice in a nation.
"Take up the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word (saying, matter, thing) of God."-Ephesians 5:17. In Jeremiah 23:29, God compares His words to fire. In Proverbs God's word is a light to the path. So in the scriptures, words are compared with a SWORD, FIRE, and LIGHT. There are definitely more comparisons, but those are from the top of my memory. Words are things. Words accomplish, words are something we hold in our hands and battle with.
All in all, this makes me be a bit more careful in what I declare. Have you ever said, "I hate that person?" Where do those words go? What is their fruit? Are you declaring hatred? Have you ever said, "That person hates me?" Again, what are you declaring? Hatred upon yourself? I'm not trying to bring any condemnation, because I'm first speaking to myself, but i just want to bring awareness to the power of words. This is such a basic thing and I tend to forget. On the flip side, have you ever had someone speak truth to you and it changed your countenance? Or when your close friend tells you that they love you? The fruit of being loved is to love. It brings freedom to be yourself when you are loved. The bible also tells us to encourage each other DAILY! Not to think good things about one another, but to give encouraging WORDS.. things..whatever...
ANYWHO: think about words... speak life... ask God what words to speak...